Coconut caramel bars are for those times you want to quickly banish 3.30-itis! They are the perfect guilt-free treat to have stashed in the freezer. Having something healthy & delicious tucked away for the times when I don’t have time is so important. It’s nice to have treats to offer friends who “drop in” for a coffee, a “pre-sport” snack for the kids or a “kids have gone to bed… now I’m watching a movie” snack.
Just a word of warning, though, they are highly addictive :)
Coconut caramel bars
1/2 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup of shredded coconut
1/2 cup of activated buckwheat (this is buckwheat that has been soaked, washed, rinsed & dehydrated at a low temperature) I use Loving Earth Organic Activated Buckinis as I don’t own a dehydrator, but you could easily make your own. Actually, almost all the ingredients used are Loving Earth.
2 tbs coconut oil
2 cups of soaked raw cashews (I soak them overnight) washed & drained
12 Medjool dates
3 tbs coconut oil
a large pinch of Himalayan (or good quality) salt
1/2 cup of shaved cacao butter
1/3 cup of raw cacao powder
2 tbs maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla powder
small pinch of Himalayan (or good quality) salt
1 1/2 cups of toasted shredded coconut
- Line a tin or container (with a base of 23cm x 13cm) with cling wrap. Let some overhang the edge of the tin. This makes the slice easier to remove later.
- In a food processor or high-speed blender (Optimum 9400) place all the base ingredients & blitz until it just comes together. Press evenly into the tin & pop into the freezer while you make the caramel.
- In your processor/blender & blend all the caramel ingredients until smooth.
- Layer this over your base and pop back into the freezer to firm up.
- To make the chocolate topping melt the cacao butter in a bowl over a pot of simmering water, once melted remove from the heat and add in the maple syrup & stir. Then add in the cacao powder & vanilla & stir well.
- Quickly pour the chocolate topping over the caramel & sprinkle the toasted coconut on top. Because the slice is cold the chocolate will harden quickly, so you need to be fast!
- I like to store this in the freezer as it doesn’t set rock hard & it’s a good hiding place :)
p.s. If you make this treat please tag me on Instagram or #thebarefoothousewife I’d love to see it!