As you are probably well aware I love making raw desserts. Coming up with different flavour combinations can be a lot of fun. I think this raw vegan chocolate raspberry + mint slice is a winner. What’s more there is no guilt involved with eating this beauty! definitely my kinda dessert. To intensify the pink I’ve turned to natures food colouring – beetroot juice! As for the mint layer it needed no help, the fresh mint leaves made for a very pretty green colour. Hope you enjoy & if beetroot is not your thing you can totally leave it out (it’s only a tiny bit so you shouldn’t be able to taste it).
raw vegan chocolate raspberry + mint slice
(raw, vegan, dairy free, gluten free)
1 cup Medjool dates
1 cup raw almonds
1/4 cup of raw cacao powder
3 cups of raw cashews soaked overnight
1/4 cup of coconut oil
1/4 cup of coconut flower nectar (or preferred sweetener)
2 x 125g punnets of fresh raspberries + an extra handful
2-4 Tbs of fresh beetroot juice (optional: to intensify the pink colour in this layer)
1 x cup of fresh mint leaves
1/2 cup of shaved cacao butter
1/3 cup of raw cacao powder
2 tbs coconut flower nectar (or preferred sweetener)
1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- Line a tin or container (with a base of 23cm x 13cm) with cling wrap. Let some overhang the edge of the tin. This makes the slice easier to remove later.
- In a food processor or high-speed blender (Optimum 9400) place all the base ingredients & blitz until it just comes together. Press evenly into the tin & pop into the freezer while you make the filling.
- Place the cashews, coconut oil & coconut flower nectar in your processor/blender & blend until smooth.
- Remove half the mixture and set aside for later.
- With the remaining cashew mixture in the processor/blender add the raspberries & beetroot juice. Start with 2 tbs of beetroot juice & add more if needed to make this layer pinker. Also depending on the tartness of your raspberries you may want/need to add more sweetness here, so have a taste (I added 2 more tbs of coconut flower nectar in this step)
- Press a few extra whole raspberries into the mixture & pop back into the freezer to firm up a little before adding the next layer.
- Take the filling mixture you set aside and fresh mint, place in your processor/blender & blend until smooth.
- Layer this over your first layer & pop back into the freezer to firm up.
- Freeze overnight then allow it to defrost slightly before slicing into portions. Return portions to the freezer while you make the topping.
- To make the top chocolate layer melt the cacao butter in a bowl over a pot of simmering water, once melted remove from the heat and add in the coconut flower nectar & stir. Then add in the cacao powder & vanilla & stir well.
- Pour the chocolate topping over your slice allowing it to drip over the sides. Because the slice is cold it should harden quickly.
You can store this slice in the fridge or freezer… it’s also nice semi-frozen.
Enjoy, Tina xo