COCONUT CARAMEL BARS – VEGAN & GLUTEN FREE
Author: Tina Khoury (The Barefoot Housewife)
1/2 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup of shredded coconut
1/2 cup of activated buckwheat (this is buckwheat that has been soaked, washed, rinsed & dehydrated at a low temperature) I use Loving Earth Organic Activated Buckinis as I don’t own a dehydrator, but you could easily make your own. Actually, almost all the ingredients used are Loving Earth.
2 tbs coconut oil
2 cups of soaked raw cashews (I soak them overnight) washed & drained
12 Medjool dates
3 tbs coconut oil
a large pinch of Himalayan (or good quality) salt
1/2 cup of shaved cacao butter
1/3 cup of raw cacao powder
2 tbs maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla powder
small pinch of Himalayan (or good quality) salt
1 1/2 cups of toasted shredded coconut
- Line a tin or container (with a base of 23cm x 13cm) with cling wrap. Let some overhang the edge of the tin. This makes the slice easier to remove later.
- In a food processor or high-speed blender (Optimum 9400) place all the base ingredients & blitz until it just comes together. Press evenly into the tin & pop into the freezer while you make the caramel.
- In your processor/blender & blend all the caramel ingredients until smooth.
- Layer this over your base and pop back into the freezer to firm up.
- To make the chocolate topping melt the cacao butter in a bowl over a pot of simmering water, once melted remove from the heat and add in the maple syrup & stir. Then add in the cacao powder & vanilla & stir well.
- Quickly pour the chocolate topping over the caramel & sprinkle the toasted coconut on top. Because the slice is cold the chocolate will harden quickly, so you need to be fast! I like to store this in the freezer as it doesn’t set rock hard & it’s a good hiding place 🙂
p.s. If you make this treat please tag me on Instagram or #thebarefoothousewife I’d love to see it!